Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Happy Birthday to Me!

Wow, another birthday! Can it be possible that I am 53?

My best friend Jeannie called yesterday and we were remarking about how we have been best friends now for more than 40 years. We met in junior high school, while walking home from school in the same direction. Our friendship has endured so long not just because of shared interests such as books but for many other reasons. The craziness of SF in the sixties, of the loss of a parent, of becoming adults. I love her like crazy.

This morning I'm also thinking about how few people are still around who remember when I was born! Sister Wendy, cousin Chuck, Aunt Jean, Aunt Dolly, and a few others.

We never have figured out why I have two birthdays, either. My whole life up to age 26 I had an April 4 birthday. I loved it, too....4/4/54. But then I sent away for an official copy of my birth certificate and it said April 3. I asked Dad and he couldn't understand why. So the next time I was at Garnie's I asked her. She went and got her birthday book and the strange thing was that she had written my birthday on April 3 and then erased it and wrote it in on April 4. She didn't remember why. So, the mystery continues, and about half the people I know remember my birthday as the 4th and some as the 3rd. Strange, isn't it?

So what am I going to do today? Go to Home Depot, paint, spackle, caulk, work in the garden and later go to dinner at Brix 25.

It's cold this morning but sunny, and I am happy.

No comments: