Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Generosity

Whenever I travel to Mexico, I am always struck by what generous people they are, and also struck with the contrast to ungenerous Americans. It's terrible for me to feel that my country has lost its way, and that people are more interested in the superficial and are unconnected to meaning and true pleasure. I've watched and experienced generosity in Mexico many times, and I know that it is as much a part of their culture as continual striving for success is in ours.

Friends and family of Martha and Adam have shared their holidays with me, shared their homes with me, invited me on trips and refused to allow me to pay my way...I have been invited to many intimate family gatherings just because I was Adam's mother, and even though I could only communicate at the most basic level. I have tried to reciprocate but somehow it is never as generous and relaxed as their invitations seem, and I truly believe it is as basic to my heritage as their easy generosity is for them.

One night in Mexico City Adam wasn't feeling well so we went to their favorite taco stand for chicken soup for Adam and tacos for the rest. While we waited, a little street boy who is familiar to everyone in the neighborhood ran up with a coin and asked for a taco. The owner sent him to the cashier (his wife) to pay, and prepared a generous taco for the boy to take away. As he started to leave, the cashier pressed a handful of money in the boy's hand as "change." He ran off. A few minutes later his sister arrived, and the same interaction ensued. It was obvious that the couple happily made sure these kids had a little good food every day and were happy to give it.

They would be surprised that I even think their actions were noteworthy. It's just what they do, and how they relate to the world around them...generous people, smiling and happy.

No comments: