Friday, January 12, 2007

Henry's Story



We have a guest blogger today, Henry the Schnoodle. Henry is very precocious...he wrote this story when he was just a puppy!

(The picture shows Henry checking out the goodies under the parrot cages)

A Different Perspective on the Thanksgiving Holiday

We knew something was going on when she brought in all the groceries and started cooking. First there was a pie, then some stuffing, and finally some sweet potato dish. Oh, I guess I should explain…I am Henry, and I am ten months old. I live with my sister Lucy and my Mom and Dad.

But to explain further, Lucy isn’t really my sister. I was adopted into this pack back in April, and she was already here. My Mom isn’t really my Mom, either, since I remember my real Mom a little, and she was furry, just like me. Other people call my adoptive Mom either Nana or Nanny. She’s nice. My Dad’s name is Paul or Honey. So now you know who we are!

When Mom started cooking we knew either someone was coming over or we were going somewhere. When she didn’t vacuum, Lucy and I started getting excited because it meant we were going to go somewhere in the car! We knew it for sure when she brought the cooler in from the garage.

We still had to wait a while because Dad was still at work. When he came home he helped with the cooking, too.

In the morning we didn’t get to eat breakfast like we normally do. Lucy was mad at me because it’s my fault. I get carsick if I eat before a car ride. Oh, well, a car ride is fun even if you have to miss a meal!

Mom and Dad loaded the car and off we went! I have to ride in my little bed on the floor of the van because of my car sickness problem. Lucy rides on the seat and looks out sometimes. I feel like such a baby!

We rode in the car for a long time. We stopped once and Mom walked us around a very interesting parking lot right by the freeway. There were so many unusual smells! Then we rode some more and after a long time more the car stopped again.

I knew it was a good place because Lucy was so excited, banging her tail against the side of the van and whimpering to get out. When we got out I remembered – and I remembered even more when I saw Erica and Owen. They are my favorite kids in the world!

Wow, I was so happy to see them! I jumped up and licked their faces and wiggled and squirmed. They petted my sister and me a lot and then invited us to join their pack and visit their den. Well, maybe they call it something else, but I call it a den.

It’s very nice there. We had a fine time chasing the ball and playing with the rope toy, but sometimes we had to go to our beds for a while, too. We like that Mom and Dad bring our beds from home.

One fun thing we did was listen to Erica play the viola. She’s good! I could never play that well! We also had fun when they were testing Owen on his addition and subtraction. He is one smart cookie, if you ask me!

After a while everyone except Lucy and I sat down to a special dinner at the table. The dinner smelled so good! Lucy and I were very happy that they put a piece of turkey on top of our dinner that night, too.

Another special thing was that we got to stay overnight! Mom and Dad took us with them when they went to bed, and we got to sleep right next to their bed. In the morning I woke up first and took a quick trip upstairs to see if I could find Erica and Owen’s dens. I went from room to room licking the faces of the entire pack!

We got to go on lots of walks, and play in the backyard, and other fun things, but before long it was time to go. We were sad to say goodbye but excited about another car ride.

On the way home Mom and Dad were talking about Thanksgiving Day and how it is important to be aware of the good things we have in our lives and the holiday is about taking a moment to appreciate them.

So, I thought I should end this essay by saying that I am thankful that I have such a nice pack and that I’m glad we went to Erica and Owen’s for Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good boy, Henry. You are cute as a bug's ear and literate too. Tell your mom to let you be a guest blogger every now and then.

I used to have a black and tan mini dachshund named Henry.

Catherine
http://cathelaine.typepad.com/lives_in_a_shoe/