Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Finding Reading Material



I love to read. I love to read books the normal way...but I also love audio books and almost always have one of each going.

I use audio books in the car, in my cd player on walks and on my mp3 player.

I have several strategies for finding new books to read, but I am constantly trolling for new authors and ideas. I thought I'd outline them in case they'd help someone else....and if anyone has suggestions, please comment with them!

  • I search my library's website. They have a search function for "on order books" which can be a great way to get new books when they first come out. I put them on hold, and don't worry if I'm number 53 out of 100....it will come to me eventually.

  • I go on Amazon and go to some of the books I really love. Then I look to see if anyone has made any lists that are associated with the book. I have found a lot of great books that way.

  • Some of my most read blogs have book posts that offer up suggestions or links that I follow. There are a couple of links on my links list. I make notes about everything!

  • Newspapers and magazines are the traditional sources. Write them down!

  • Good friends who read are a great source. Jeannie and I never close a conversation without asking "what are you reading now?"


I mostly get my books from the library since we are not buying anything unless it is something that will go with us to Mexico.

I read a mix of fiction and non-fiction. Right now I am reading two books - Return to Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani and The Ancient Kingdoms of Mexico by Nigel Davis. Very different kinds of books. Return to Big Stone Gap is light reading (I am listening on CD) but the main character is a very thoughtful person and I am enjoying the book. The Ancient Kingdoms of Mexico is very interesting - I am only about forty pages in, but I am loving it.

No comments: