Monday, October 30, 2006

I Feel Your Pain

Regular readers here know that I quit my job a couple of weeks ago. This news elicits various responses from people:

  • You are SO LUCKY!
  • You poor thing!
  • What are you going to do?
  • Are you kidding?
Etc, etc....

I have worked all my life and have had a variety of bosses. I've worked in clerical jobs and managerial jobs. I even was co-president of a company for a year and executive vice president for a couple. I have always enjoyed working, and seldom can stand to not work outside the home for very long.

A job gives you a variety of rewards - some are monetary - and some psychological. This is where the balancing happens - you will take a lot more crap and deal with frustration a lot easier if you feel enough reward from the pay and benefits. And on the flip side, you can handle low pay a lot easier if you get the psychological rewards you need.

Enough about all that. It's in the past.

But here in the present, life is wonderful. I can work outdoors every day - and after the last couple of years of working almost full time, the property needs it! I can make actual homemade dinners. We've had some wonderful soup, quiche and pizza, and salads nearly every day. The ironing rack is empty. The dogs and the parrots adore having me here. I can spend half a day working on the Key Peninsula News website (like I'll do today), putting things up on Ebay for sale, or writing a blog entry.

Stay tuned.

No comments: